Friday, January 16, 2009

Just keep a knocking...


I was reading a friends blog (funny on the internet I have never met him but I consider him a friend, there must be something wrong with that...) about Luke 11. It is the story of the man who goes to his neighbor's house to borrow some bread because a guest showed up unannounced and the man had nothing to feed him. Well the neighbor was already in bed and had locked up his house and told the man to go home. But the man was persistant and kept knocking, and JESUS said that the neighbor would eventually give the man the bread because he knew that he would not get any sleep because of the guys knocking and that he would give him the bread not necessarily out of friendship but because his reputation would be damaged if he did not help his neighbor in time of need.


Well he brought out a point that sometimes we quit knocking too soon and leave before GOD does something great in our lives. I have seen people come to church once or twice, and unless GOD did something miraculous they did not come back. I have seen people come and pray once and just expect GOD to give them what they prayed for and never pray again for it. I have seen people attempt to make a deal with GOD and because things did not go according to the way they thought, they quit on GOD all together.


I do not want to be the guy who knocks and knocks and finally leaves the porch and says, "well I guess it is time to move on." And then moments later the next guy comes to the door and knocks just one time and the door is opened for him and the owner of the house says, "I heard you knocking, it just took me a moment to get to the door".


I think that there are times when we give up to early and we need to persevere a little longer and just keep on knocking on that door.

No comments: