Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A historic Day...

Today is the day when we receive a new president. And I have never in my life seen such interest in this specific day when a new president takes the oath of office in all my life. Now I realize that because of his race, it is a historical moment in the history of the United States but the fanfare that is coming with it is a little discouraging.
We are in the midst of a recession, our financial deficit keeps growing and growing and I have no idea what it will cost for all the pomp and circumstance that will go on today, do we need to add to the debt? Do I think we should cancel the party? No, but I do believe that with everything that is going on, we should be looking to the main issues that are facing our country today and maybe use a little discretion? Yes?
But let me get to the point of my post... It is definately a historic day for our country. The election of an African American president means that indeed anything is possible in this country. But what I am concerned about is the bar has been set so high for our incoming president that I am afraid that he will not measure up to the expectations placed upon him. I know many Americans believe that when he steps into office that every issue and problem facing this great nation will evaporate and will be fixed with a stroke of the pen. Can I bring a little reality to you today, that is not going to happen. I am afraid that the millions of people who are standing on Pennsylvania Avenue today may be standing there in a few years demanding the promises of change that they never saw come to pass. For America to change, Americans must change individually. They must make the decision that change is good, and embrace it. Wishing for someone esle to change your life is like wishing that you will loose weight without diet and exercise, if there was some magic pill we would have it by now. So as we look on this historic day, if you are wanting change, then begin with yourself, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

No comments: