Thursday, June 10, 2010

Songwriting is like life...

In so many ways. Most times the best songs are written about true life events. I have written a few songs in the last year and it is really hard work. Most of them were just poetry that we put a rythm and melody to. But I am working on one right now that was a scary time in my life and I am finding my emotions are getting the best of me. Everytime I sit down to write I remember things about those days and it all comes flooding back, the fear, the uncertainty, the grief and I seem to relieve those days all over again. It is almost enough to put that song away and forget about it. But then the story would not be told and the glorious ending would never be found out.
Life is kind of like that, we live through hard times in our lives and we would rather forget them than relive them. But when we do we fail to get to share in the triumphs that come out of the hard times.
So as your life is lived out loud in front of others, sometimes we need to relive those hard times to let the triumphs truely sing out.

2 comments:

Alice said...

No experience with song writing, but . . . reading books or listening to books on tape. When I re-read them, or remember them, I remember where I was, who I was, and how I felt at the time.

Pat Hankins said...

Alice,
I agree with you. I will hear a song playing and remember something I was doing to that track. Or a movie I saw when it first came out and remember the people I saw it with.
So in a sense sometimes the songwriters will write about their life experience which will translate into our life experience. That is the cool part...