Friday, June 18, 2010

My first accident...

Well I have been driving now for 25 years. In that time my wife has had a few accidents.
Before we were married she actually hit a motor home. I was like, wow that's pretty bad and it got worse when I found out the motor home wasn't moving!! Then she hit a cow in the head with the mirror of my car and later in the same car got backed into by a 4x4 pickup that knocked the grill almost off. So here was this car with a missing mirror, a damaged grill but still driveable. Well she was sitting at a stop sign when a semi ran over her back end. Yep went right over the backside of the car. So for the last many years neither of us had an accident. So I got to tell the horrifying stories of HER accidents and laugh at her. Well all of that changed on Tuesday.
I was in a rental car in Birmingham Alabama and was hit in the driver's side door by a Toyota Yaris. I saw her coming, braking hard and all I could do was BRACE FOR IMPACT!!
Damage was minimal, the door was smushed in and the front of her car wore a piece of my door in her bumper but all in all both drivers were fine. Air bags did not deploy so it was not that big of a crash. But it ruined my record.
Now I have been involved in an accident. Yep my spotless record is now tainted, no longer can I point my judgemental finger at my wife and imply she is a bad driver. Now when I feel the need to laugh at her expense I can't point the finger because I will have three others pointing back at me.
Many have asked if anyone was hurt, and thankfully no one was. Really nothing was damaged that could not be repaired, other than my perfect driving record. Oh well it was a good 25 years.

No comments: