Friday, June 4, 2010

Overwhelmed...

Have you ever felt overwhelmed? I know I am going through it right now. Work has been non stop, the entire months of April and May I was all over the place, to give you an idea, I was in Iowa, South and North Dakota, Minnesota, Ohio and Kentucky (twice), California, Florida (three different times so you can't feel to sorry for me), and Missouri. I feel like Johnny Cash (insert "I've been everywhere man" soundtrack here). This is all for my regular job.
Now for my other job as Pastor, we have a golf tourney fundraiser slated for this Saturday to pull off, Sunday services to minister in, Monday is Berean School where I will teach on the entire Old Testament in three hours time, and then we have a staff retreat to organize for next weekend, and also TWO different firework tent fundraisers that will start in a couple of weeks. Throw in the occasional funeral service, counciling sessions, and hospital calls and it gets to piling up on you.
Oh and lets not forget being a husband and a father. I have a daughter who just graduated, another getting ready for her senior year who decided to play sports this year so we have summer softball to arrange around, a son who is playing both summer baseball and basketball, as well as youth camps, I camps, football camps, softball camps, scouting camps, PK camps and any other kind of camp you want to throw in there. Oh and my wife is wanting out bathroom done that we have been remodeling for five years now. She thinks it might be a good thing to have the second bathroom BEFORE all the kids leave the house.
So what do you do when you feel overwhelmed?
Let go... yep, do the exact opposite of what you should do.
Remember when you were a kid and got on your first roller coaster? You gripped that bar in front of you so hard you thought it was going to break in two? You were just sure when the guy let you out there would be fingerprintes embedded in the metal? After your first ride what did your more experienced roller coaster friend tell you to do? Yep, let go and raise your hands in the air. It was scarry, insane and not rational all at the same time. But the first time when you raised your hands and the coaster built up speed and you took that first downhill plunge you would never hold onto the bar again.
So when you are feeling overwhelmed, let go, relax and let GOD take care of you.
Raising your hands is optional...

No comments: