Thursday, August 5, 2010

Trust...

Trust is an important thing in life. Sadly too many times our trust has been smashed to smithereens by friends, family and others who let us down. But without trust what kind of world would we live in.
I think it is important for kids to trust their parents, but sadly even that trust in many cases is fractured forever. I remember playing this game with my daughter when she was still really young. She would climb up on this couch we had, right up on the top of the back on the end and she would jump right into my arms as I sat on the chair next to it. Well one day we were playing this game and she kept jumping and jumping and finally she got tired of it and went and found something else to do. So I got involved with a discussion with a guest and unknown to me my daughter decided to revisit the jumping off the couch game. Luckily for me the saucer shaped eyes of my guest gave away what was happening behind me as I turned and luckily caught her before she hit the ground. As I lifted her up to chastise her that she can't jump when Daddy is not looking, the angelic look on her face that told me she knew I would catch her caused the words in my throat to disolve. She trusted that no matter how close to the ground she might have fallen I was going to catch. And catch her I did, at the very last moment. She had complete trust in me.
I think it is important for husbands to trust their wives. I know, I know, I have counciled numerous people whose trust in those relationships has been betrayed. Many are unwilling to trust ever again for fear of being hurt once again. But I still believe that when a marriage is made if there is not any trust between spouses that marriage is doomed for failure. Sometimes my wife and I have to tell each other things that we really do not want to reveal. Fears, mistakes and common everyday issues are brought up but because we are willing to share them with each other we do trust one another with everything in our lives.
So I have said all of this to make this point. If as a child we need to put complete trust in our parents, and as a spouse we need to completely trust our mate, why do we have such a hard time completely trusting GOD with every aspect of our lives? Come on, I know people well enough that there are parts of their lives that they refuse to turn over to GOD for one reason or another. Most times that reason is rooted in the big T word, trust. Do we trust GOD to handle our problems or do we not. You see GOD is our heavenly Father and we are his children. And as children we need to trust our father to have a healthy relationship. I have never put my children in harms way and they trust me to never put them there. I have never purposely caused my children pain, and they trust me even with their most painful injuries to treat them with care and respect. And although I believe if you asked my children they would say that they trust me whole heartedly, I believe there are many of GOD'S children who do not trust him in the same manner. That is a sad statement of a relationship a GOD who loves us.
Also as a husband to my wife there needs to be trust in that relationship to be healthy as well. The New Testament calls the church the bride of Christ. Now as a large man, I always have a hard time envisioning myself dressed in a wedding dress about to marry Jesus. I can imagine him lifting the veil and going, "ohhhh" as he sees my bald head and my gotee. But as the Son of GOD, and as the bridegroom of the church, he is the one that will bring wholeness to the body of Christ. And as the bridegroom of the church, we need to trust him as well. My wife knows that every decision I make is based on how it will impact both of us. She knows that every fork in the road that is presented to us will be a fork that both of us take no matter what. She trust that I will never knowingly do anything to hinder our relationship. Jesus is the same way to his bride, the church. We just need to realize that he means for our best, even though sometimes the road is hard, our best interest he has in mind.
So what are you failing to trust in? Are you willing to trust GOD in EVERY aspect of your life, as a child trust a parent or as a wife trust her husband?
Think about it.

No comments: