Monday, August 9, 2010

Summer is almost over...

Wow, where has the time gone? Summer is almost over. Kids start school next week and it is official, summer is over.
There were many things that I wanted to do this summer that did not get done.
I wanted to landscape the yard. Nothing major but I wanted to trim some trees, cut back some bushes, plant some stuff, build some stuff, but I got absolutely nothing done on the yard this year. I think part of it was the heat, it was so hot the other day I saw a cat swimming in a kiddie pool. But part of it was the yard was not a passionate thing for me so it fell on my priority list.
I also wanted to clean out my shed. It has gotten so full of stuff over the years it needs a good going through. But then again I was not passionate about it so it fell to the inactive list.
I also wanted to go on a long motorcycle ride this year. Nothing crazy but at least an overnighter where I could pack my stuff, ride a few hundred miles a day or two and camp out. But then again, priorities took the center stage.
I also wanted to work out more this summer. You know get active, walk, run, burn some energy but then again, priorities, priorities, priorities.
So I can sit here this morning lamenting on what I did not accomplish this summer, beating myself up for my failure and shortcomings. That is what most of us do right? But I am going to focus on what I did get done this summer.
I finished a bathroom remodel that has been on the books for five years.
I repaired a broken and unplayable guitar for my daughter.
I worked on my daughters car with her.
I played catch with my kids.
I took my kids and my wife swimming, twice.
I took my wife out on a few dates, not near enough dates but I am still trying.
I took my oldest son golfing.
I took my youngest son minature golfing.
I have played video games one night with all of my kids all evening a couple of times.
So all in all, I think I did OK this summer, I mean will the yard remember that I did not spend quality time with it this summer? I don't think so... but those others will.

No comments: