Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Patience Grasshopper...

I am like an out of work Doctor, I have no patience...
I think it must be an reflection of the day and age we live in that I am not the only one without patience in this world.
Thinking back a few years you can see where I am coming from.
When I was a kid we had a party line phone. That was when there was just one line from your house to the switchboard. Sometimes you would pick up the phone and someone was already on it talking away. Well you would just have to wait... and wait... and wait till they got done.
I remember when we first got computers hooked to the internet, remember the bzzzzzz, beep, bzzzzz gurgle gurgle as it connected... yeah good times.
I remember when the phones all had rotary dialers, the 1's weren't too bad but when you had to dial a 9 or something, well that is why for an emergency you dialed 9-1-1. After that rotary had to be twisted around to 9 and then had to slowly make its way back to the stop so you could dial again, many of those people in need of an emergeny either died or got better.
I remember when the only fast food was the kind they delivered on roller skates...
Remember when their was no such thing as remote controls? You had to get up and walk to the TV to change the channels. We watched a lot of really boring TV when I was a kid because no one wanted to get off the couch and loose their seat.
I remember Mom making dinner and actually cooking stuff in the oven and on the stove where we had to wait for it...
I remember saving my money to buy that new bike, dollars, pennies whatever I could find till I had enough to actually pay for it in full.

The more I think about it the better the old life was.
On that party line, you actually knew what your neighbor was doing, if you lifted the phone really quiet like.
I remember where the internet was slower than getting the encyclopedia, forget downloading any damaging files, it wasn't worth the effort.
Rotary dialers? Well you really really really needed to call someone to use one of those.
Fast Food, I saw a restaurant the other day that had on their marquee "we knew you were coming, and your food is ready".
Remote controls, well I don't have patience for commercials anymore, I just flip to another channel.
Cooking on a stove top? Doesn't everyone had a nuclear reactor to warm up their chicken pot pies?
And actually saving money up to buy something? Why shoudl we do that when we can buy it now and pay later at a low monthly interest rate?
Some days I really do think the old days were better...

No comments: