Thursday, May 20, 2010

That old time religion...

I am reading "Like a Prarie Fire", it is a book about the beginnings of Pentecost in Oklahoma. As a minister I am always looking to expand my knowledge and understanding, and sometimes you need to go back before you can go forward. I am just slightly into it and two things have stood out to me.
Point number one: The author writes about the early church pioneers in Pentecost and penned this point. "Their consecration was so deep that there was no room for anything other than GOD and his will in their lives". Wow. If we could tap into that we can change a world. We need a church today who is willing to give all they have to the cause of Christ. Where there is no room in their lives for anything other than GOD'S will. We have so many other distractions that keep us occupied and lead us away from GOD'S will. Wether it be hobbies, relationships, work, home, addictions or anything that seperates us from GOD, we need to willingly give those things up and replace them with GOD and GOD alone.
Oh LORD that I would surrender everything to you, and allow you to fill every part of my life.
Point number two: The author writes about the singing. Now if your church has not had a split over worship at this point you are probably safe or still singing these songs that the early pioneers sang. What really grabbed me was this quote. He writes; "Only the "worldly" would dare sing a fast song. Pentecost changed that forever. The new Pentecostal songs - even the old Holiness hymns - were sung at a breakneck speed. It was if the joy of the Lord was so built up in them, they exploded during the song service." Wow again. Can you imagine the things that were said? "They keep singing that same chorus over and over". "They are singing about their love for GOD, they should be singing about the Bible." Mainly led by an acoustic guitar and a tamborine they sang loud and long. Well it sure seems like some things never change in the Pentecostal church. People are still griping about the musis being too long and too loud.
Oh GOD, that I would sing as loud as I can so that anyone within earshot can hear. That I would sing as long as I can so those that have yet to pass by would hear your glory.
Sometimes I think we need that "ole time religion"...

No comments: