Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hanley Ramirez...

Have you seen it yet? http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Marlins-Ramirez-should-sit-051810
Hanley Ramirez of the Florida Marlins loafing after a ball? Here is the scenario. Hanley is a remarkable athlete and the highest paid player on their team who plays the most difficult position short stop. So there was a bloop single that fell in front of the left field and behind Ramirez. Both players gave chase and arrived about the same time when the ball hit the turf, but an unexpected bounce found the ball striking Ramirez's foot and he accidentally kicked it into the left field corner. Now that is a little weird but what happens next is even weirder. Ramirez jogs all the way out to the fence to get it. There was no sense of urgency, no sense of busting it to get the ball back into play, did I mention there were men on base at the time? So Ramirez takes his sweet time to get the ball and throw it back in. His manager is displeased with his effort, his teamates are displeased with his effort and Ramirez doesn't undertand what all the fuss is about. Now before you think I am bashing him, I want to assure you that we all act the same way.
Have you ever mailed it in? You know, you were supposed to do something and did it half way, or not at all or just enough to get by? I know I have. I hate to admit it but there have been times in my life that I really did not want to do something and I put it off and put it off until I had to do it and then I did with with a half hearted effort. It always seems that those things come back to bite me in the backside.
I even had my grandfather get onto me once about doing a half way job. He really let me have it and I decided that if it was worth doing it was worth doing well. I realized my mistake and instead of trying to blame others for my poor efforts I realized it was me that needed to change. Instead of ignoring it I realized I had to deal with it to get it to go away.
I hope Hanley realizes this as well, he is still a young man and will be better for it, I know.

No comments: