Monday, March 23, 2009

Define; Great?

I am having a hard time defining great. Yeah, I know but great just doesn't seem that great anymore. It appears more and more like good is masquarading around saying it is great when it really isn't. What is even worse is people are beginning to recognize good as great and it is really starting to upset me. So I tried to put some limits on great but found that great had no limits and then I tried to put some standards on good and found out good has no standards either. It seems what some would say is good, others call it great, and still others call it bad.

So I told someone we had a great service. Well we did, the Spirit of GOD was moving and challenging lives, we were basking in the presence of GOD and I left thinking we had a great service. But what accounts for a great service? Is the presence of GOD the clincher? Well then I have had great services in the car and in the shower before. Is it when someone gives their life to GOD? Well we have had dull services that people have responded, and we have had great (there I go again) good services that people have not responded.
So I am needing some help in defining great. Abraham Lincoln said the enemy of great is not bad, it is good.
Lord, help me be great for you. Help me be great for the people I lead and teach. Lord help me be great for the kingdom.
And make me really good at golf, because other than Tiger, it seems no one is near great.

No comments: