Thursday, April 2, 2009

Music


Wow it has been a week since I shared. That is what I think of blogging, sharing ideas, dreams, fears and such with one another. We are all in this together.


Music is a big part of my life, I play it, write it, dream about it and fear it. Confused yet?

You see music is hard work, and I am not just talking about learning to play. Music is hard because it takes so many things working together to make it sound good, let alone great. Take last night for instance, we kicked off this band. Well we have practiced like four times, which is really not enough for us to gel and know exactly what each other will do. We had our ups and downs, but all in all in was not too bad. But in those times where we were struggling a great point was made to me. When we had a little issue with tempo, ALL the instruments tried to fix it, at the same time. Yeah it was ugly, the drummer got a little off, the guitar tried to play louder to get the drummer back on the right beat, the other guitar then got lost trying to decide to follow the other guitar or the drummer, the bass player (me) then got really loud trying to get everyone to follow me and the leader was snapping fingers trying to get everyone together. Can I tell you that an eletric guitar or two, a bass guitar and a drum set are all WAY MORE LOUD than a pair of snapping fingers? But guess what, the LEADER was the one snapping the fingers and if all of us had taken a deep breathe, quit trying to do our own thing and melded into the tempo of the snapping fingers together, we would not have gone two or three measures where it sounded like chaos.

GOD is like that sometimes, he is snapping off the tempo, but we want to march to our beat, or the beat of our friend, and life becomes chaos until we settle into the groove provided by the Father and everything works out...sometimes I wonder if it would be better being a one man band... but then I see a picture and think, I don't want to look like that!

No comments: