Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tomorrow it starts..

Tomorrow my brother is entering a Teen Challenge program to get treatment for his Alcohol problem. I am really proud of him for finally acknowldeging that first he has a problem, and then secondly doing something about it. What really made me think of blogging about this family issue is something he said to me. The program is 13 months, and he was somewhat taken aback by the length of time it was. "It is a whole year of my life" he said to me once. That got me to thinking.
What is a year of your life worth? In the span of an adult life we spend more than a year sleeping. We spend more than a year probably watching TV. I know my kids probably have already spent a year of their lives playing games on the Playstation or the Wii.
So is a year of your life spent in treatment worth it? I think so, we spend so much of our other time doing other things that really won't affect our lives that much. But getting a problem fixed, well that is a life changing.
So I am hoping that his life will be so different in 13 months and it will be a good investment in the course of his life.

No comments: