Friday, March 5, 2010

Real life...

I have to tell you, sometimes real life is scary. You know we watch TV, go to movies and have our hobbies to escape from real life but sometimes it sneaks up on you. When it does it is like that ax murderer film where at the time you least expect it the bad guy shows up and slices and dices his way across the screen.
My wife and I are experiencing that right now. I feel like I am running in quicksand and not getting anywhere. I feel like my mouth is open in this horrifying terror induced scream but no sound is coming out. I see the world around me spinning faster and faster outside of my control.
You see, my oldest daughter is graduating high school in a little less than nine weeks. Yep, in nine weeks the little girl who was just learning to brush her hair and teeth, ride a bike, hit a ball is going to be an ADULT! (Insert woman's high pitch scream that last forever here!)
Now I realize that just graduating High School does not make one an adult. I know people that are less mature going on 50 than they were going on 5, but at graduation the world recognizes you as an adult (insert I still can't believe this is not butter ad here- that is how I feel, I can't believe it).
My daughter is filling out scholarship applications, making plans for the future and she is not doing them the way Mom and Dad feel she should. I guess that is real life, and why it is so scary. It is turning your child free to make their own decisions. You just hope when the scary music starts that that they don't go to the window to investigate that strange sound from outside...

No comments: