Thursday, March 18, 2010

Purpose?

I have been thinking a lot about purpose lately.
When you read the Bible, you see the great stories of people of purpose. The Old Testament prophets who parted seas, kings who slayed giants, prophets who did miracles. In the New Testament you see men like Paul and Peter who did great things. So I started thinking, why is the church not doing these great things today?
We were in a small group class one evening when one of the children (we usually don't have kids in our adult small groups but she was being rowdy and got stuck with Mom and Dad) speaks up in the middle of our discussion and says quite loudly, "BORING!".
We all kind of chuckled but it has haunted me. Christians today do live Boring lives and it should not be that way. We find ourselves bound by our own prison walls of work, home and church and never get far enough from the shore line to experience anything new.
When we were in the middle of building project, life was anything but boring. There was work to do, bills to pay, shedules to keep. I have never been so proud of my people as seeing the grandmas making dinner in an unfinished kitchen, teenages painting doors and men and women laying carpet base to get ready for our open house. But once the building was completed life got boring again.
We do have our fare share of excitement, just this past week we had two people in the hospital. We had a family who were having some drama that spiced things up but what I found is I like boring. I am comfortable in boring. I love boring and it should not be that way.
So I have purposed in my heart that life is going to quit being boring and we are going to become a church where crisis, drama and conflict become a way of life as we are going to get out of the normal and get out into the world to make a difference.
So what are you doing today? The same old boring thing? Well join us in getting out of the rut and into the fray.

No comments: