Thursday, March 4, 2010

So how do you want it?

I remember being asked this as a child when I got into trouble. It usually revolved around me doing something I was not supposed to do and getting in trouble for it. I usually had two choices, one was to get detention, grounded, miss recess, something along those lines. The other involved my backside receiving a blow from a hand, paddle or fly swatter. I to this day can tell you which was worse. Sitting around in detention, or being grounded or missing recess was always worse. I believe it was because I had to sit around and think about what I had done. Whether it was for a day, or an hour or a week, knowing you were in trouble and still having to pay for it long after it happened was torture for me. I would rather take a paddling any day, it was painful but it did not linger as long as being grounded. It was humiliating, but only for a couple of seconds and then you were off to do whatever again. It was carried out quickly and the punishment ended just as fast.
As an adult though I have found out that sometimes my resistance to punishment has increased (that means my behind has gotten bigger and more padded) that GOD has to resort to extreme measures to correct me.
I find myself now thinking more about my lack of discipline, pondering the mistakes I have made more and being more introspective of myself and my shortcomings. I have found that is a miserable place to be. It is kind of like watching all the kids from the windows of the classroom while they are on recess. They are all out there playing, swinging, running and you are locked down in a maximum security classroom.
I long for the day when I will be released from this time of inner examination. I look forward to the day when I can just go play because I have fulfilled the demands of my sentence.
Next time GOD, I think I will take the spanking. Maybe...

No comments: