Sunday, January 10, 2010

Comfortable?

I love to be comfortable. I love overstuffed chairs, couches you don't set on but become a part of, and firm pillows. I love warm slippers, hot coffee and a good book for a comfortable afternoon. I like a nice car with air conditioning on those hot August days and central heat for the cold winter nights. I like good food, nice views and fun times. I really like to be comfortable but recently I have wondered about being uncomfortable.
I think sometimes we get too comfortable that we get complacent. Being comfortable is not the problem; complacency is. Complacency takes comfortable to the wrong extremes, it makes us inactive to things around us because we do not want to give up our comfortable surroundings for even a minute. It robs us of the excitement of trying something new, it robs us of the fulfillment that comes with accomplishing something.
I remember a guy I worked with for a while when I was younger. He was a complacent guy to the point that he never did anything outside of his home. His car was the one thing that really bothered me, this guy had a drinking problem. No not an alcoholic drinking problem but he could not go one minute without a soda can in his hand. He worked nights so he could actually work with a can of pop right next to his station as he moved along. Well it became a real issue in his car as he would finish one can and then throw them over his shoulder into the backseat. I think it became a game to him, pull one down, slug it down and throw it over the shoulder into the backseat except for the fact that the day I looked at his car the entire rear seating area was full of pop cans. I was dumbfounded and did not know what to say. I asked about it and he told me he was going to turn them in for scrap, which made sense except they never got turned in. And eventually the passenger side started to fill up with cans and he decided he needed a new car as his old one was starting to smell and the cans were a problem. I remember looking at him and thinking, he needs help. But he went out and bought a new car, parked the old one and proceeded to fill up the new car with cans. I asked him one day why he did it and he told me he just did not want to have to clean that car out, it was too much work. I explained if he would take his cans out each day they would not pile up and be so much work, but he looked at the cans already in the back and said, there are too many now it will be too much work to get rid of them.
There in lies the root of many of our problems, we are complacent with the way life is around us, and don't want to make the changes that need to be made in our lives. We need to get out of the complacent mind set and see what there is for us outside of our normal comfortable. Once we beat the complacent bug we will find new comfortable things that will rock our world, but it is going to take getting out of our current comfortable to get to the new comfortable.

No comments: