Friday, January 8, 2010

Building...

I love to build guitars, the one in my profile is a replica of a 1957 Fender Telecaster that I copied. I have learned a lot about life from building guitars, I am at number 5 right now.
1) Poor materials builds a poor guitar.
As you know I am fruggle so when I can save a dollar here or there I do it. But what I found with my guitars is there is a price to pay for being cheap. Not just any slab of wood will do. Not just any electrical components will do. You need to buy good parts to make a good guitar. The same goes with our lives, if you live a cheap life and don't invest in yourself, you will be like that cheap guitar, you can make noise but it isn't really pretty, it is always out of tune and becomes a pain to play. don't be like that in your life, invest in yourself so you can make beautiful music with your life, stay in tune with things in life and enjoy the results.
2) You can try to cut corners but they come back to cut you.
I had this one body I just could not get to work. I had it all made up and then went to put the neck on it and the neck end was cut different than the body groove. Now that connection is a major part of having a good guitar, and this was not a good situation. So the way to fix it was to either make a whole new body, or glue in a new piece and route a new neck pocket, or buy a new neck. All of those options were either very time consuming or expensive. So I took the shortcut, I decided I could BONDO in the gaps on the neck and everything would be fine. Well if did not work, the neck wobbles something fierce, if you hit it right it falls out of tune and it is setting in my back room and hasn't been played for the last six months. It is useless in its present state. Many people do the same thing in trying to cut corners with their lives. They think one little change here or there will not affect them but it does. One little indiscretion won't affect them but it does and it has drastic effects on their lives. So next time you are tempted to cut a corner, step back, suck it up and do it right, you will appreciate it later.
3) Patience
I hate finishing guitars. You know, putting the paint on it. You see I always assemble my guitars before I finish them. It makes sure everything is working before you spend a lot of time finishing them and it also helps to eliminate some tense times of putting screws into a finished product for the first time. So I get the guitar together sans paint or finish, and I string it up and play it a bit to make sure it works well. After that it is time to take it apart and finish it up. Now here is where the trick comes in. You just had a chance to play that new guitar as a test, and you really are excited to get it done so you can play it all the time. But finishing takes time, and patience. You put the paint on too thick and it runs and you have to sand it off to get it back to smooth. You put it on too light and you don't get even coverage, you apply it too often and you can get bubbles that burst when it cures out leaving you a nice divot on the face. In the finishing process you have to apply patience, you can't touch it till it is dried and cured or you will ruin it. Out lives are that way too, we need to have patience. GOD is working on all of us and sometimes he gives us the foretaste of something to come and we are so excited and anxious that we push and pull and get ahead of GOD and then we mess it up.
So next time life throws you a curve, step back and make sure you have good materials to work with, don't cut corners to get there faster and have some patience, it will all work out.

No comments: