Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Follow the directions...

I really hate following directions. I don't know if it is a "man thing" or if I am just wired that way. But following directions is not a strong suit of mine. I remeber when I was younger putting things together and having leftover parts. I remember putting a wheel on my bicycle once, popping a wheelie and seeing my front wheel fall off. For the record, that was the longest wheelie I have ever ridden, although when it ended it was not pretty.
So anyway, I was working on my stratocaster guitar putting in some new electronics and following the directions that came with them. I had it all wired up correct and it still would not work. I got so frustrated that I just put it down and started on some other things. So about four hours later I was just looking at the diagram that came with my parts. And my eye caught something. There was a wire on that diagram that I had not seen earlier. Sure enough I look and I had forgot to put that wire in there. It was not really important, it was the ONLY wire that took the signals from the pickups to the electronics. Kind of like the driveshaft in your car that turns your axles and your wheels. You can have the best motor, best transmission and the nicest tires in the world, but without a drive shaft tying them together, you are going nowhere.
I think our lives are like that sometimes. GOD gives us directions and sometimes it appears to be just a tangle of wires, but somewhere in there if we forget to connect to him, all if for not. So stay connected, or you won't go anywhere or make any music!!

No comments: