Monday, August 11, 2008

Whew...

After two weeks of flat out running. Finishing up one job and moving onto another, I have a few pointers to hand out.
1) two weeks is a long time. I know you are supposed to give a two weeks notice, but man does those two weeks cause some serious turmoil in your life. Depending on how long you might have worked at a specific place or how well you did your job, there are two different ways things are seen during those two weeks. The first; if you were a schmuck is they are glad to get rid of you and it is party city at the office. People are wishing you well, helping you pack your stuff and pushing you out the door. The other face of this is if you are truely an important cog in the wheel, well it is like "dead man walking", you know the movie of the guy who is heading to the electric chair, or gas chamber? People are walking around in doom and gloom, wearing black, muttering to themselves while you are all excited about the job that is awaiting you. It is stress beyond belief as those you like and those you maybe did not like too well are all hurt, betrayed and sometimes downright mean to you for leaving.
2) The other side of the fence is not always greener. When the mind has time to think, sometimes that is not a good thing. When you go into something blind, you really never know what to expect. And your mind will always conjure up the worst, trust me.
3) People are people... think you are getting away from the slob at the office? Think again, they are in every office. The neat freak, yep he is at the new office too! Seems no matter how hard you look, freaks are everywhere... even at the new job.
4) You last weeks will either seal your legacy or will seal your legacy. Face it, we will be remembered most of the time for the last two weeks we were employed than we will be for the first two weeks.

Leaving a job and heading to something else is the most painful and exciting thing I have done in a long time. I hated to leave those I worked with all those years, but I am excited at the same time for the oppotunities afforded to me at my new place of employment. So when you make that leap, just figure it is only two weeks, it has to end sometime.

2 comments:

sassy chic said...

who you calling a freak? Just because I like things to be neat does not make me a freak, it makes me...um...neat! I am glad that you are now out of your two week pressure cooker! Glad your back home too!

Plow Boy said...

I can relate to your thoughts. There is so much more out there as far as knowledge of circumstances and information about each crossroads we come to in life. I don't think there is any way we could know all there is to know about each situation before we make a descision. But I know who does know! We can count on God to give us direction when we ask!