Tuesday, December 16, 2008

You are what you eat...

I was remembering my childhood the other day and how I hated some vegetables that my Mom wanted me to eat. It was not an option not to eat them, you had to set there till you did, that was how it was. I remember that slogan, "you are what you eat" and I thought of that today. We all know that fast food is not the healthiest thing for you. So if we are eating fast food all the time we are going to have problems. This country has a serious issue with overindulgence. You see we just can't help ourselves. We consume, consume and consume until we find ourselves in a real health problem. Now I am guilty as most, eating healthy that is, but there is another real problem that we have in this country and it is a perfect analogy of overeating.

Just as what we put into our mouths affects our cholesteral, our blood pressure and our waist lines. What we allow into our lives affects us even more. It seems that everywhere you look their is something on TV, in a magazine or online that we really should not allow into our lives if we don't want to have trouble. Not every housewife is a "desperate housewife", I have lived lots of place and never have I been in a neighborhood like that. Now I have never watched the show but I can tell you all the characters, what issues they are dealing with and what is going on just from the commercials that saturate my other programming. Turn over to some other station and you will find that every teenager is sexually active, which makes the young person who is not wonder why everyone else is. Go online and find some provocative picture that has been touched up to the point that the person on the screen is not real, and we have unrealistic expectations from the opposite sex and how they should look and behave. Take a look at the political situation swirling around Illinois with their governor being brought up on charges, so we hear all of the negatives and we decide that everyone is that way in politics. You see what we take in everntually becomes part of our lives. If you are watching violence, I think you are going to be prone to become violent. If you are consumed with things on TV, they will affect the way you view those around you.
We all need to go on a diet, and not just from the Big Mac...

No comments: