Monday, December 15, 2008

Three Gifts...


The gifts given by the Wise Men, got me to thinking about a few things.

First, we always believe that there were three men. But I really believe that there must have been more than three. First figure that these guys traveled probably around 500 miles across the desert. They must have had at least part of an army to protect them on their journey especially when I bring up point two. So it wasn't just three dudes on camels who came to worship the Christ Child, but probably a party of 500 or more who came to worship him.

Second, we always see the figures of the nativity clutching a small chest as a gift. Can I tell you no man in his right mind would bring a small gift to an earthly king let alone the King of Kings. If you brought a gift to a king, and the king deemed it unimportant, he would have you thrown out on your ear or worse. I believe that these men brought more than a small chest of gold, frankenscense and mrryh. I believe that they brought a vast quantity of precious gifts to the Christ Child. The KJV version called them "treasures", now I think that three pounds of gold to be a good thing. And at todays rate, three pounds of gold would be worth $43,000.00. Now if you found three pounds of gold in a shipwreck, would it be called a treasure? I don't think so, treasure is used when the amount of wealth is exceedingly great. The last sunken treasure ship yielded an estimated $500 million dollars worth of treasure. Now that is what I call a treasure.


So when you see the three wise men, think on these points, that there were more than three who risked their lifes and fortunes to come and worship the Christ, and they brought "treasures" with them as a gift to the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

No comments: