Friday, October 1, 2010

Fix it part TWO...the sequel

Well since I had such an outpouring of emotion in regards to my blog last week about fix it problems let me lay some new ones on you.
I have experienced the highs and lows of the fix it personality this week.
I have found probelms that have plagued me, and overcome them. And I have had problems that are going beyond the fixable.
My wife comes in the other day and says her car is broken. Of course that is something us husbands are just waiting to hear, it just makes our day all full of sunshine and flowers. NOT!
So my wife's car is throwing a trouble code and her check engine light is on. Always not a good thing. So I run the code down and find it is a sensor that is likely clogged. So I get out the old carburator cleaner which is guaranteed to break down carbon deposits making your car run smoother and more efficient. It will also peel paint off of a vehicle if you spray it on the paint by accident and will make you feel like your eyeballs are being removed with a spoon if you spray it in your eyes... don't ask how I know this, it brings up painful memories... I digress...
So after working on her car for a while I get the dreaded check engine light to go away and it has stayed away for the better part of a couple of weeks. So I have once again earned my "Mr. Fix It" badge from the Man Scouts of America.
But I have another problem. I have a brother I have mentioned before who has multiple problems. I have tried and tried to fix them for him only to have him break the things I thought I had fixed. So he called me yesterday, early release is supposed to be a good thing but I found myself thinking I do not have the ability right now to deal with this. He is two and a half hours away and needs picked up from the correctional facility. Well as I explained my delimma and that fact that I was a couple of hours away he fixed his own problem. He had someone else pick him up. He even found a place to stay for the night, and I am thinking he has done it!! He is doing it all by himself!! Then I found out that my Mom fixed it for him. She wired him money to take care of his problems. His Mom had come to his rescue once again.
Sooner or later there will be a day when my wife's car throws a code that is going to require more than carb cleaner to fix it. I will be forced to actually put a new part on it or replace the car altogether. There comes a point in time where you just can't fix everything, it becomes to expensive.
I hope my mother realizes this one day, sometimes there are things that money can't fix.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Sometimes just fixing it, does not make the "error message" go away, sometimes you have to hit "reset" too.
I'm not sure brothers have a reset button though . . .

Pat Hankins said...

I wish there was a reset button MY life!! That would be handy! At least a rewind!