Friday, September 3, 2010

What was that???

How many times are we scared by things that go bump in the night? I know I have been. I remember waking up one time and there was a hooded man standing at the foot of my bed holding an axe. I laid there as still as I possibly could as every muscle in my body stood ready to jump up and throw my little brother at the serial killer. I must have laid there at least five minutes in sheer terror as the axe murderer just stood there staring at me. At about the five minute mark I realized that I had forgotten to breathe which was just as well as I realized my soon to be assailant had not taken a breath either. Finally the fog of fear in my brain lifted just long enough for me to make out that his axe head was not all shiny and sharp looking but had little tufts of something on it. Focussing as hard as I could I then realized that it appeared he was wearing two shirts as one was a slightly different color than the other. So I moved, slightly, like I was turning over in bed to see if he would react and nothing happened. It was then that I got a slightly different angle to look at my soon to be killer. He was not near as frightening from this angle. He actually was really skinny, bean pole thin. And his face although shrouded from the hoody was not really looking at me but looking at a blank wall. It was then that I realized that someone had moved the coat rack from the living room and put it at the end of my bed.

I had been working late nights and rolled into the house somewhere around midnight. Apparently Mom or Dad was cleaning the living room and relocated temporarily the coat rack to my bedroom, at the end of my bed to be exact. I was so tired that when I came home I walked right past it on my way to bed. It was only later that night when I woke up that I saw it for the first time. You see, there was a hat, actually two that was at the very top of the rack. We would just stack them up on it and someone had thrown their hoody over the top of the pair of hats making it look like a hatted and hoddied killer. Then the coats were on the lower sections and made up the body where a pair of them were sitting side by side with one side of the hoodie covering them. Violla! There you go, ready made axe murderer.

Oh the axe. Yes the axe was actually a glove someone had placed on one of the arms to let it dry. So I laid there in utter terror for over five minutes scared of a pair of hats, a hoodie, two coats and a winter glove.

So many times in life we are afraid of things we should not really be worried about. So next time you are sitting scared to death, think it through. You might be surprised that

No comments: